Sunday, May 31, 2009

Govt to reward soldiers and police commandos for Operation Summer Storm

IMPHAL, May 30: The Okram Ibobi Cabinet in a marathon meeting this evening decided among other things to reward soldiers of the 57 Mountain Division and Assam Rifles, and police commandos who took part in the Operation Summer Storm at the Loktak Lake for the efficiency with which they executed the mission, as well as their dedication to duty and job.
While the army and Assam Rifles are to get Rs. 7 lakhs, the police commandos would be rewarded Rs. 3 lakhs.
It may be recalled in the said operation in April this year, the raiding combined team of army soldiers and police commandos killed 12 underground cadres and destroyed many of their hideouts at the Keibul Lamjao National Park at Loktak Lake.
In another decision, the Cabinet also decided to raise the ration allowance of jail staff from the existing Rs. 450 to Rs. 485 per month.
The Cabinet also decided on an ex-gratia amount of Rs. 50,000 each to the kin of the 20 people killed in the unfortunate accident on May 7 at Sangrungpan about 7km from Tamenglong district headquarters. Those injured would also get Rs. 20,000 or Rs. 5,000 depending on the seriousness of their injuries.
The Cabinet also decided to concede to the demands for new SDO and BDO offices at Willong and Phaibung Khullen in the Senapati district.
The cabinet also decided ban on recruitment would be lifted from a number of government departments.
Among these would be the State Assembly secretariat where the recruitment of two under secretaries, two committee officers, one assistant, seven LDA, one steno, one reporter, one compositor, four drivers, one library attendant, four peons, one sweeper, three security personnel and one farrust, together amounting to 29 posts, has been approved.
The Cabinet also approved recruitment of an advocate on contract basis to fight government cases in the Guwahati High Court. It also approved filling of nine posts in the family welfare department and eight in the Governor’s secretariat.
To improve the power situation in the state, the Cabinet also decided to discuss with the NEC the proposal for a comprehensive scheme for power transmission, sub-transmission, through a loan from the World Bank which would meet 70 percent of the cost of the project and the other 30 percent to be made up for by another loan from DoNER.
The Cabinet also approved the recruitment of kin of the Lamlai incident in which miscreants killed two IFCD drivers on November 21, 2008.
Wife of late Y Inaobi, Mrs. Y Bijenbala and son of M Chaoba, M Premjit would be absorbed as LDCs in the IFCD. (IFP)

No comments: